Subject: [Healeys] Intermittent OD

From: Richard Antal via Healeys <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 8 Nov 2022 21:23:55 +0000 (UTC)

--===============2509994527551985150==
	boundary="----=_Part_1888895_179289664.1667942635921"

------=_Part_1888895_179289664.1667942635921
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

Gents,The solenoid and switch preceding it are twenty years old on my BJ8. =
In the past few months it operated unpredictably. I've pulled the tranny co=
ver and demonstrated that the solenoid was failing to engage though power w=
as coming to the switch. Before I could test to see if current was coming o=
ut of the switch to the solenoid, the later suddenly engaged. I was unable =
to reproduce failure of the solenoid to engage. The intermittent failure mu=
st be either due to the switch or the solenoid itself. Which is most likely=
 to be the culprit? TIA.=C2=A0 rich antal

------=_Part_1888895_179289664.1667942635921
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit

<html><head></head><body><div class="yahoo-style-wrap" style="font-family:Helvetica Neue, Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif;font-size:13px;"><div dir="ltr" data-setdir="false">Gents,</div><div dir="ltr" data-setdir="false">The solenoid and switch preceding it are twenty years old on my BJ8. In the past few months it operated unpredictably. I've pulled the tranny cover and demonstrated that the solenoid was failing to engage though power was coming to the switch. Before I could test to see if current was coming out of the switch to the solenoid, the later suddenly engaged. I was unable to reproduce failure of the solenoid to engage. The intermittent failure must be either due to the switch or the solenoid itself. Which is most likely to be the culprit? TIA.</div><div dir="ltr" data-setdir="false">&nbsp; rich antal<br></div></div></body></html>
------=_Part_1888895_179289664.1667942635921--

--===============2509994527551985150==
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

_______________________________________________

Archive: http://www.team.net/pipermail/healeys http://autox.team.net/archive/healeys

[email-masked]
http://autox.team.net/mailman/listinfo/healeys

--===============2509994527551985150==--

---

From: Roland Wilhelmy <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 8 Nov 2022 15:41:10 -0800

--===============4829461861652278430==

--000000000000db1bb505ecfe13c2

I would look to the wiring and switch. Probably a loose connection
somewhere before the solenoid. The high amp wiring inside the solenoid is
pretty bulletproof unless it doesn't get switched off when it should. And I
haven't figured out where an intermittent operation could be generated.

-Roland

On Tue, Nov 8, 2022, 1:37 PM Richard Antal via Healeys <
[email-masked]> wrote:

> Gents,
> The solenoid and switch preceding it are twenty years old on my BJ8. In
> the past few months it operated unpredictably. I've pulled the tranny cover
> and demonstrated that the solenoid was failing to engage though power was
> coming to the switch. Before I could test to see if current was coming out
> of the switch to the solenoid, the later suddenly engaged. I was unable to
> reproduce failure of the solenoid to engage. The intermittent failure must
> be either due to the switch or the solenoid itself. Which is most likely to
> be the culprit? TIA.
>   rich antal
> Support Team.Net http://www.team.net/donate.html
> Suggested annual donation  $12.75
>
> Unsubscribe/Manage:
> http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/healeys/[email-masked]
>
>

--000000000000db1bb505ecfe13c2
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

<div dir=3D"auto"><div>I would look to the wiring and switch. Probably a lo=
ose connection somewhere before the solenoid. The high amp wiring inside th=
e solenoid is pretty bulletproof unless it doesn&#39;t get switched off whe=
n it should. And I haven&#39;t figured out where an intermittent operation =
could be generated.=C2=A0</div><div dir=3D"auto"><br></div><div dir=3D"auto=
">-Roland<br><br><div class=3D"gmail_quote" dir=3D"auto"><div dir=3D"ltr" c=
lass=3D"gmail_attr">On Tue, Nov 8, 2022, 1:37 PM Richard Antal via Healeys =
&lt;<a href=3D"mailto:[email-masked]">[email-masked]</a>&gt=
; wrote:<br></div><blockquote class=3D"gmail_quote" style=3D"margin:0 0 0 .=
8ex;border-left:1px #ccc solid;padding-left:1ex"><div><div style=3D"font-fa=
mily:Helvetica Neue,Helvetica,Arial,sans-serif;font-size:13px"><div dir=3D"=
ltr">Gents,</div><div dir=3D"ltr">The solenoid and switch preceding it are =
twenty years old on my BJ8. In the past few months it operated unpredictabl=
y. I&#39;ve pulled the tranny cover and demonstrated that the solenoid was =
failing to engage though power was coming to the switch. Before I could tes=
t to see if current was coming out of the switch to the solenoid, the later=
 suddenly engaged. I was unable to reproduce failure of the solenoid to eng=
age. The intermittent failure must be either due to the switch or the solen=
oid itself. Which is most likely to be the culprit? TIA.</div><div dir=3D"l=
tr">=C2=A0 rich antal<br></div></div></div>________________________________=
_______________<br>
rer noreferrer" target=3D"_blank">http://www.team.net/donate.html</a><br>
<br>
Archive: <a href=3D"http://www.team.net/pipermail/healeys" rel=3D"noreferre=
r noreferrer" target=3D"_blank">http://www.team.net/pipermail/healeys</a> <=
a href=3D"http://autox.team.net/archive/healeys" rel=3D"noreferrer noreferr=
er" target=3D"_blank">http://autox.team.net/archive/healeys</a><br>
<br>
<a href=3D"mailto:[email-masked]" target=3D"_blank" rel=3D"noreferr=
er">[email-masked]</a><br>
<a href=3D"http://autox.team.net/mailman/listinfo/healeys" rel=3D"noreferre=
r noreferrer" target=3D"_blank">http://autox.team.net/mailman/listinfo/heal=
eys</a><br>
<br>
s/[email-masked]" rel=3D"noreferrer noreferrer" target=3D"_blank">ht=
tp://autox.team.net/mailman/options/healeys/[email-masked]</a><br>
<br>
</blockquote></div></div></div>

--000000000000db1bb505ecfe13c2--

--===============4829461861652278430==
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

[email-masked]

--===============4829461861652278430==--

---

From: Bob Spidell <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 8 Nov 2022 17:41:52 -0800

This is a multi-part message in MIME format.
--===============7103624128175082876==
 boundary="------------NXD5MY1CM4iHRMoJKtiY2B3u"
Content-Language: en-US

This is a multi-part message in MIME format.
--------------NXD5MY1CM4iHRMoJKtiY2B3u
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 8bit

If by 'switch' you mean the 1-2-R lockout switch on the gearbox 'remote' 
shifter it could need adjusting or replacing. To test, switch O/D on at 
the dash and move the shift to 3rd or 4th and hold hard to the right. 
Check operation of the solenoid (or with a voltmeter). It's a simple, 
spring-loaded SPST (single-pole single-throw) contacter, but its depth 
needs to be set with washers. If holding the lever hard right corrects 
the problem then you can try thinner spacers, but it's not a bad idea to 
replace it on principle; esp. if it's original or very old. If the 
solenoid works when it gets power it's not the problem (though they do 
fail).

I've had a couple of the dash switches fail intermittently--esp. 
aftermarket ones--but you won't get power at the lockout switch if it's 
not making contact. Another possibility is the relay on the firewall; 
I've had them go intermittent. It's just a set of points on a cam; I had 
one go intermittent and I opened it up in a hotel room and filed the 
points and it worked for a couple thousand miles (think I still have it 
as a spare).

On 11/8/2022 1:23 PM, Richard Antal via Healeys wrote:
> Gents,
> The solenoid and switch preceding it are twenty years old on my BJ8. 
> In the past few months it operated unpredictably. I've pulled the 
> tranny cover and demonstrated that the solenoid was failing to engage 
> though power was coming to the switch. Before I could test to see if 
> current was coming out of the switch to the solenoid, the later 
> suddenly engaged. I was unable to reproduce failure of the solenoid to 
> engage. The intermittent failure must be either due to the switch or 
> the solenoid itself. Which is most likely to be the culprit? TIA.
>   rich antal
>

--------------NXD5MY1CM4iHRMoJKtiY2B3u
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 8bit

<html>
  <head>
    <meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=UTF-8">
  </head>
  <body>
    If by 'switch' you mean the 1-2-R lockout switch on the gearbox
    'remote' shifter it could need adjusting or replacing. To test,
    switch O/D on at the dash and move the shift to 3rd or 4th and hold
    hard to the right. Check operation of the solenoid (or with a
    voltmeter). It's a simple, spring-loaded SPST (single-pole
    single-throw) contacter, but its depth needs to be set with washers.
    If holding the lever hard right corrects the problem then you can
    try thinner spacers, but it's not a bad idea to replace it on
    principle; esp. if it's original or very old. If the solenoid works
    when it gets power it's not the problem (though they do fail).<br>
    <br>
    I've had a couple of the dash switches fail intermittently--esp.
    aftermarket ones--but you won't get power at the lockout switch if
    it's not making contact. Another possibility is the relay on the
    firewall; I've had them go intermittent. It's just a set of points
    on a cam; I had one go intermittent and I opened it up in a hotel
    room and filed the points and it worked for a couple thousand miles
    (think I still have it as a spare).<br>
    <br>
    <br>
    <br>
    <div class="moz-cite-prefix">On 11/8/2022 1:23 PM, Richard Antal via
      Healeys wrote:<br>
    </div>
    <blockquote type="cite"
      cite="mid:[email-masked]">
      <meta http-equiv="content-type" content="text/html; charset=UTF-8">
      <div class="yahoo-style-wrap" style="font-family:Helvetica Neue,
        Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif;font-size:13px;">
        <div dir="ltr" data-setdir="false">Gents,</div>
        <div dir="ltr" data-setdir="false">The solenoid and switch
          preceding it are twenty years old on my BJ8. In the past few
          months it operated unpredictably. I've pulled the tranny cover
          and demonstrated that the solenoid was failing to engage
          though power was coming to the switch. Before I could test to
          see if current was coming out of the switch to the solenoid,
          the later suddenly engaged. I was unable to reproduce failure
          of the solenoid to engage. The intermittent failure must be
          either due to the switch or the solenoid itself. Which is most
          likely to be the culprit? TIA.</div>
        <div dir="ltr" data-setdir="false">  rich antal<br>
        </div>
      </div>
      <br>
    </blockquote>
    <br>
  </body>
</html>

--------------NXD5MY1CM4iHRMoJKtiY2B3u--

--===============7103624128175082876==
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

[email-masked]

--===============7103624128175082876==--

---

From: Peter Dzwig via Healeys <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 9 Nov 2022 09:27:57 +0000

I don't know if this might help, but I just had my 'box rebuilt after 
which O/D wouldn't work properly, although it did for a quick drive 
afterwards. It turned out that dirt had got into the suction pipe and 
had blocked it. Clearing the pipe sorted it. Sounds like you may be 
headed in the same direction, perhaps?

Peter

On 08/11/2022 21:23, Richard Antal via Healeys wrote:
> the past few months it operated unpredictably. I've pulled the tranny 
> cover and demonstrated that the solenoid was failing to engage though 
> power was coming to the switch. Before I could test to see if current 
> was coming out of the switch to the solenoid, the later suddenly 
> engaged. I was unable to reproduce failure of the solenoid to engage. 
> The intermittent failure must be either due to the switch or the 
> solenoid itself. Which is most likely to be the culprit? TIA.
>    rich antal
> 
> Unsubscribe/Manage: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/healeys/[email-masked]
> 

-- 

Dr. Peter Dzwig

[email-masked]

Unsubscribe/Manage: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/healeys/[email-masked]

---

From: "m.g.sharp--- via Healeys" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 9 Nov 2022 07:59:14 -0500

This is a multipart message in MIME format.

--===============7185965153739651669==
	boundary="----=_NextPart_000_012D_01D8F411.2989AEA0"
Content-Language: en-ca

This is a multipart message in MIME format.

------=_NextPart_000_012D_01D8F411.2989AEA0
	charset="UTF-8"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

Richard,  I had an intermittent OD engagement issue this summer on my =
BT7.  I found that the bakelite on the end of the lockout switch had =
broken and so it was not consistently engaging (i.e. completing the =
circuit in 3rd and 4th.   I have no idea if it is the same switch as the =
BJ8, but it is an easy check to pull it out.  Make sure you save any =
washers/shims as the depth of the plungers is set up by shimming the =
switch.

=20

Cheers, Mirek

=20

From: Healeys <[email-masked]> On Behalf Of Richard =
Antal via Healeys
Sent: November 8, 2022 4:24 PM
To: Healeys <[email-masked]>
Subject: [Healeys] Intermittent OD

=20

Gents,

The solenoid and switch preceding it are twenty years old on my BJ8. In =
the past few months it operated unpredictably. I've pulled the tranny =
cover and demonstrated that the solenoid was failing to engage though =
power was coming to the switch. Before I could test to see if current =
was coming out of the switch to the solenoid, the later suddenly =
engaged. I was unable to reproduce failure of the solenoid to engage. =
The intermittent failure must be either due to the switch or the =
solenoid itself. Which is most likely to be the culprit? TIA.

  rich antal

------=_NextPart_000_012D_01D8F411.2989AEA0
	charset="UTF-8"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

<html xmlns:v=3D"urn:schemas-microsoft-com:vml" =
xmlns:o=3D"urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" =
xmlns:w=3D"urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:word" =
xmlns:m=3D"http://schemas.microsoft.com/office/2004/12/omml" =
xmlns=3D"http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-html40"><head><meta =
http-equiv=3DContent-Type content=3D"text/html; charset=3Dutf-8"><meta =
name=3DGenerator content=3D"Microsoft Word 15 (filtered =
medium)"><style><!--
/* Font Definitions */
@font-face
	{font-family:Helvetica;
	panose-1:2 11 6 4 2 2 2 2 2 4;}
@font-face
	{font-family:"Cambria Math";
	panose-1:2 4 5 3 5 4 6 3 2 4;}
@font-face
	{font-family:Calibri;
	panose-1:2 15 5 2 2 2 4 3 2 4;}
/* Style Definitions */
p.MsoNormal, li.MsoNormal, div.MsoNormal
	{margin:0cm;
	font-size:11.0pt;
	font-family:"Calibri",sans-serif;}
span.EmailStyle18
	{mso-style-type:personal-reply;
	font-family:"Calibri",sans-serif;
	color:windowtext;}
.MsoChpDefault
	{mso-style-type:export-only;
	font-size:10.0pt;}
@page WordSection1
	{size:612.0pt 792.0pt;
	margin:72.0pt 72.0pt 72.0pt 72.0pt;}
div.WordSection1
	{page:WordSection1;}
--></style><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml>
<o:shapedefaults v:ext=3D"edit" spidmax=3D"1026" />
</xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml>
<o:shapelayout v:ext=3D"edit">
<o:idmap v:ext=3D"edit" data=3D"1" />
</o:shapelayout></xml><![endif]--></head><body lang=3DEN-CA link=3Dblue =
vlink=3Dpurple style=3D'word-wrap:break-word'><div =
class=3DWordSection1><p class=3DMsoNormal><span =
style=3D'mso-fareast-language:EN-US'>Richard,=C2=A0 I had an =
intermittent OD engagement issue this summer on my BT7.=C2=A0 I found =
that the bakelite on the end of the lockout switch had broken and so it =
was not consistently engaging (i.e. completing the circuit in =
3<sup>rd</sup> and 4<sup>th</sup>.=C2=A0 =C2=A0I have no idea if it is =
the same switch as the BJ8, but it is an easy check to pull it =
out.=C2=A0 Make sure you save any washers/shims as the depth of the =
plungers is set up by shimming the switch.<o:p></o:p></span></p><p =
class=3DMsoNormal><span =
style=3D'mso-fareast-language:EN-US'><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></span></p><p =
class=3DMsoNormal><span style=3D'mso-fareast-language:EN-US'>Cheers, =
Mirek<o:p></o:p></span></p><p class=3DMsoNormal><span =
style=3D'mso-fareast-language:EN-US'><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></span></p><div><di=
v style=3D'border:none;border-top:solid #E1E1E1 1.0pt;padding:3.0pt 0cm =
0cm 0cm'><p class=3DMsoNormal><b><span =
lang=3DEN-US>From:</span></b><span lang=3DEN-US> Healeys =
&lt;[email-masked]&gt; <b>On Behalf Of </b>Richard Antal =
via Healeys<br><b>Sent:</b> November 8, 2022 4:24 PM<br><b>To:</b> =
Healeys &lt;[email-masked]&gt;<br><b>Subject:</b> [Healeys] =
Intermittent OD<o:p></o:p></span></p></div></div><p =
class=3DMsoNormal><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></p><div><div><p =
class=3DMsoNormal><span =
style=3D'font-size:10.0pt;font-family:"Helvetica",sans-serif'>Gents,<o:p>=
</o:p></span></p></div><div><p class=3DMsoNormal><span =
style=3D'font-size:10.0pt;font-family:"Helvetica",sans-serif'>The =
solenoid and switch preceding it are twenty years old on my BJ8. In the =
past few months it operated unpredictably. I've pulled the tranny cover =
and demonstrated that the solenoid was failing to engage though power =
was coming to the switch. Before I could test to see if current was =
coming out of the switch to the solenoid, the later suddenly engaged. I =
was unable to reproduce failure of the solenoid to engage. The =
intermittent failure must be either due to the switch or the solenoid =
itself. Which is most likely to be the culprit? =
TIA.<o:p></o:p></span></p></div><div><p class=3DMsoNormal><span =
style=3D'font-size:10.0pt;font-family:"Helvetica",sans-serif'>&nbsp; =
rich antal<o:p></o:p></span></p></div></div></div></body></html>
------=_NextPart_000_012D_01D8F411.2989AEA0--

--===============7185965153739651669==
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

[email-masked]

--===============7185965153739651669==--