Subject: [Healeys] Electrics

From: Mike Sinclair <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 26 Nov 2022 15:56:58 -0800

This is a multi-part message in MIME format.
--===============8822321900840205031==
 boundary="------------IsPORoVVY7pjQgWYwR8vLMmK"
Content-Language: en-US

This is a multi-part message in MIME format.
--------------IsPORoVVY7pjQgWYwR8vLMmK
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 8bit

Need some enlightenment.  Awhile back, the car (BJ8) was running fine, 
but I noticed the little red light that says the battery isn't being 
charged was on.  (I do keep the battery on a Battery Minder" when not in 
use.)  Chased the system down, and discovered the generator was putting 
out zero volts.  Adjusted the fan belt, no change.  On closer 
inspection, the rotor was damaged (a bar was actually missing).  Had the 
unit rebuilt, and it is working fine, but still had the little red light 
wouldn't go out.  Checked all the connections, continuity, voltage 
regulator, couldn't find any thing out of the ordinary.  Finally, upon 
closer inspection of the regulator with a mirror, found the contacts on 
one of the coils were welded together, and the leaf spring holding that 
contact was completely severed.  According to the manual, this is the 
"cutoff coil".  New regulator solved the problem.

Now the questions.

1. What could cause the rotor to be damaged?

2. What could cause the points to weld together?

3. Which likely failed first?  Did one cause the other?

4. I'm guessing the points stuck together first, and caused the leaf 
spring to break, so first the points were always "closed", and then 
always "open".

5. Would any of this cause damage to anything else, e.g., the battery?

Again, everything seems normal, now.  Battery holds charge well.

Mike

--------------IsPORoVVY7pjQgWYwR8vLMmK
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 8bit

<html>
  <head>

    <meta http-equiv="content-type" content="text/html; charset=UTF-8">
  </head>
  <body text="#000000" bgcolor="#ffffff">
    <p><font face="Tahoma">Need some enlightenment.  Awhile back, the
        car (BJ8) was running fine, but I noticed the little red light
        that says the battery isn't being charged was on.  (I do keep
        the battery on a Battery Minder" when not in use.)  Chased the
        system down, and discovered the generator was putting out zero
        volts.  Adjusted the fan belt, no change.  On closer inspection,
        the rotor was damaged (a bar was actually missing).  Had the
        unit rebuilt, and it is working fine, but still had the little
        red light wouldn't go out.  Checked all the connections,
        continuity, voltage regulator, couldn't find any thing out of
        the ordinary.  Finally, upon closer inspection of the regulator
        with a mirror, found the contacts on one of the coils were
        welded together, and the leaf spring holding that contact was
        completely severed.  According to the manual, this is the
        "cutoff coil".  New regulator solved the problem.</font></p>
    <p><font face="Tahoma">Now the questions.</font></p>
    <p><font face="Tahoma">1. What could cause the rotor to be damaged?</font></p>
    <p><font face="Tahoma">2. What could cause the points to weld
        together?</font></p>
    <p><font face="Tahoma">3. Which likely failed first?  Did one cause
        the other?<br>
      </font></p>
    <p><font face="Tahoma">4. I'm guessing the points stuck together
        first, and caused the leaf spring to break, so first the points
        were always "closed", and then always "open".</font></p>
    <p><font face="Tahoma">5. Would any of this cause damage to anything
        else, e.g., the battery?</font></p>
    <p><font face="Tahoma">Again, everything seems normal, now.  Battery
        holds charge well.<br>
      </font></p>
    <p><font face="Tahoma">Mike</font><br>
    </p>
  </body>
</html>

--------------IsPORoVVY7pjQgWYwR8vLMmK--

--===============8822321900840205031==
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

_______________________________________________

Archive: http://www.team.net/pipermail/healeys http://autox.team.net/archive/healeys

[email-masked]
http://autox.team.net/mailman/listinfo/healeys

--===============8822321900840205031==--