Subject: [Healeys] Overdrive disengages

From: John Spaur via Healeys <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 1 Jul 2023 11:55:13 -0700

This is a multipart message in MIME format.

--===============3414152453683906417==
	boundary="----=_NextPart_000_014B_01D9AC12.E5B0D360"
Content-Language: en-us

This is a multipart message in MIME format.

------=_NextPart_000_014B_01D9AC12.E5B0D360
	charset="us-ascii"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit

Hi All,

My overdrive is functioning again after replacing the accumulator housing
and piston but it is exhibiting an odd behavior which I believe is related
to the adjustment of the setting lever.

When I open the toggle switch, the OD will sometimes disengage immediately
instead of waiting until I blip the accelerator. When I adjusted the setting
lever, I could not use a 3/16" dowel to line up the lever with the hole in
the housing. I had to advance the lever clockwise a bit to get the OD to
engage when the toggle switch was closed. This has always been the case and
this issue is mentioned in some articles.

Do I need to fiddle with the setting lever adjustment some more? If so, do I
rotate it clockwise or counter clockwise?

Any other thoughts?

TIA,

John Spaur

'62 BT7

------=_NextPart_000_014B_01D9AC12.E5B0D360
	charset="us-ascii"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

<html xmlns:v=3D"urn:schemas-microsoft-com:vml" =
xmlns:o=3D"urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" =
xmlns:w=3D"urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:word" =
xmlns:m=3D"http://schemas.microsoft.com/office/2004/12/omml" =
xmlns=3D"http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-html40"><head><meta =
http-equiv=3DContent-Type content=3D"text/html; =
charset=3Dus-ascii"><meta name=3DGenerator content=3D"Microsoft Word 15 =
(filtered medium)"><style><!--
/* Font Definitions */
@font-face
	{font-family:"Cambria Math";
	panose-1:2 4 5 3 5 4 6 3 2 4;}
@font-face
	{font-family:Calibri;
	panose-1:2 15 5 2 2 2 4 3 2 4;}
/* Style Definitions */
p.MsoNormal, li.MsoNormal, div.MsoNormal
	{margin:0in;
	margin-bottom:.0001pt;
	font-size:11.0pt;
	font-family:"Calibri",sans-serif;}
a:link, span.MsoHyperlink
	{mso-style-priority:99;
	color:#0563C1;
	text-decoration:underline;}
a:visited, span.MsoHyperlinkFollowed
	{mso-style-priority:99;
	color:#954F72;
	text-decoration:underline;}
span.EmailStyle17
	{mso-style-type:personal-compose;
	font-family:"Calibri",sans-serif;
	color:windowtext;}
.MsoChpDefault
	{mso-style-type:export-only;
	font-family:"Calibri",sans-serif;}
@page WordSection1
	{size:8.5in 11.0in;
	margin:1.0in 1.0in 1.0in 1.0in;}
div.WordSection1
	{page:WordSection1;}
--></style><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml>
<o:shapedefaults v:ext=3D"edit" spidmax=3D"1026" />
</xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml>
<o:shapelayout v:ext=3D"edit">
<o:idmap v:ext=3D"edit" data=3D"1" />
</o:shapelayout></xml><![endif]--></head><body lang=3DEN-US =
link=3D"#0563C1" vlink=3D"#954F72"><div class=3DWordSection1><p =
class=3DMsoNormal>Hi All,<o:p></o:p></p><p =
class=3DMsoNormal><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></p><p class=3DMsoNormal>My overdrive =
is functioning again after replacing the accumulator housing and piston =
but it is exhibiting an odd behavior which I believe is related to the =
adjustment of the setting lever.<o:p></o:p></p><p =
class=3DMsoNormal><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></p><p class=3DMsoNormal>When I open =
the toggle switch, the OD will sometimes disengage immediately instead =
of waiting until I blip the accelerator. When I adjusted the setting =
lever, I could not use a 3/16&#8221; dowel to line up the lever with the =
hole in the housing. I had to advance the lever clockwise a bit to get =
the OD to engage when the toggle switch was closed. This has always been =
the case and this issue is mentioned in some articles.<o:p></o:p></p><p =
class=3DMsoNormal><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></p><p class=3DMsoNormal>Do I need to =
fiddle with the setting lever adjustment some more? If so, do I rotate =
it clockwise or counter clockwise?<o:p></o:p></p><p =
class=3DMsoNormal><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></p><p class=3DMsoNormal>Any other =
thoughts?<o:p></o:p></p><p class=3DMsoNormal><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></p><p =
class=3DMsoNormal>TIA,<o:p></o:p></p><p class=3DMsoNormal>John =
Spaur<o:p></o:p></p><p class=3DMsoNormal>&#8217;62 =
BT7<o:p></o:p></p></div></body></html>
------=_NextPart_000_014B_01D9AC12.E5B0D360--

--===============3414152453683906417==
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

_______________________________________________

Archive: http://www.team.net/pipermail/healeys http://autox.team.net/archive/healeys

[email-masked]
http://autox.team.net/mailman/listinfo/healeys

--===============3414152453683906417==--

---

From: Bob Spidell <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 2 Jul 2023 07:43:57 -0700

This is a multi-part message in MIME format.
--===============1196263505417360942==
 boundary="------------j0dQDyik09HwsI0rUA1clwtY"
Content-Language: en-US

This is a multi-part message in MIME format.
--------------j0dQDyik09HwsI0rUA1clwtY
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 8bit

Hi John,

What keeps the O/D from disengaging immediately when you open the dash 
switch is the 'throttle switch.' When the O/D is actuated there is a 
parallel circuit that will keep the O/D activated until you press the 
accelerator pedal, theoretically preventing reverse thrust from damaging 
the O/D. The parallel circuit runs through the throttle switch on the 
scuttle (firewall); it sounds like you need to adjust it. It's a simple 
adjustment using a certain diameter--I don't recall it offhand, but I'll 
look it up if you need it--drill bit under the throttle stop levers. 
There's a small shaft off the throttle mechanism that opens this 
switch--it's just a set of points and a cam inside--with a lever with a 
pinch clamp. Just loosen the pinch clamp, set the bit under the throttle 
stop plate and tighten the clamp.

If you O/D is actuating consistently within a couple seconds or so then 
your solenoid, operating lever, operating shaft and ball 'valve' are 
correct. The 'stick-a-drill-bit-through-the-lever-into-the-housing' 
method is notoriously unreliable; the proper setting is best achieved by 
measuring the lift--IIRC, it's 1/32" but not sure--of the operating 
shaft at the top of the O/D hydraulic section.

Bob

On 7/1/2023 11:55 AM, John Spaur via Healeys wrote:
>
> Hi All,
>
> My overdrive is functioning again after replacing the accumulator 
> housing and piston but it is exhibiting an odd behavior which I 
> believe is related to the adjustment of the setting lever.
>
> When I open the toggle switch, the OD will sometimes disengage 
> immediately instead of waiting until I blip the accelerator. When I 
> adjusted the setting lever, I could not use a 3/16” dowel to line up 
> the lever with the hole in the housing. I had to advance the lever 
> clockwise a bit to get the OD to engage when the toggle switch was 
> closed. This has always been the case and this issue is mentioned in 
> some articles.
>
> Do I need to fiddle with the setting lever adjustment some more? If 
> so, do I rotate it clockwise or counter clockwise?
>
> Any other thoughts?
>
> TIA,
>
> John Spaur
>
> ’62 BT7
>
>

--------------j0dQDyik09HwsI0rUA1clwtY
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 8bit

<html>
  <head>
    <meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=UTF-8">
  </head>
  <body>
    Hi John,<br>
    <br>
    What keeps the O/D from disengaging immediately when you open the
    dash switch is the 'throttle switch.' When the O/D is actuated there
    is a parallel circuit that will keep the O/D activated until you
    press the accelerator pedal, theoretically preventing reverse thrust
    from damaging the O/D. The parallel circuit runs through the
    throttle switch on the scuttle (firewall); it sounds like you need
    to adjust it. It's a simple adjustment using a certain diameter--I
    don't recall it offhand, but I'll look it up if you need it--drill
    bit under the throttle stop levers. There's a small shaft off the
    throttle mechanism that opens this switch--it's just a set of points
    and a cam inside--with a lever with a pinch clamp. Just loosen the
    pinch clamp, set the bit under the throttle stop plate and tighten
    the clamp.<br>
    <br>
    If you O/D is actuating consistently within a couple seconds or so
    then your solenoid, operating lever, operating shaft and ball
    'valve' are correct. The
    'stick-a-drill-bit-through-the-lever-into-the-housing' method is
    notoriously unreliable; the proper setting is best achieved by
    measuring the lift--IIRC, it's 1/32" but not sure--of the operating
    shaft at the top of the O/D hydraulic section. <br>
    <br>
    Bob<br>
    <br>
    <br>
    <div class="moz-cite-prefix">On 7/1/2023 11:55 AM, John Spaur via
      Healeys wrote:<br>
    </div>
    <blockquote type="cite"
      cite="mid:[email-masked]">
      <meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=UTF-8">
      <meta name="Generator" content="Microsoft Word 15 (filtered
        medium)">
      <style>@font-face
	{font-family:"Cambria Math";
	panose-1:2 4 5 3 5 4 6 3 2 4;}@font-face
	{font-family:Calibri;
	panose-1:2 15 5 2 2 2 4 3 2 4;}p.MsoNormal, li.MsoNormal, div.MsoNormal
	{margin:0in;
	margin-bottom:.0001pt;
	font-size:11.0pt;
	font-family:"Calibri",sans-serif;}a:link, span.MsoHyperlink
	{mso-style-priority:99;
	color:#0563C1;
	text-decoration:underline;}a:visited, span.MsoHyperlinkFollowed
	{mso-style-priority:99;
	color:#954F72;
	text-decoration:underline;}span.EmailStyle17
	{mso-style-type:personal-compose;
	font-family:"Calibri",sans-serif;
	color:windowtext;}.MsoChpDefault
	{mso-style-type:export-only;
	font-family:"Calibri",sans-serif;}div.WordSection1
	{page:WordSection1;}</style><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml>
<o:shapedefaults v:ext="edit" spidmax="1026" />
</xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml>
<o:shapelayout v:ext="edit">
<o:idmap v:ext="edit" data="1" />
</o:shapelayout></xml><![endif]-->
      <div class="WordSection1">
        <p class="MsoNormal">Hi All,<o:p></o:p></p>
        <p class="MsoNormal"><o:p> </o:p></p>
        <p class="MsoNormal">My overdrive is functioning again after
          replacing the accumulator housing and piston but it is
          exhibiting an odd behavior which I believe is related to the
          adjustment of the setting lever.<o:p></o:p></p>
        <p class="MsoNormal"><o:p> </o:p></p>
        <p class="MsoNormal">When I open the toggle switch, the OD will
          sometimes disengage immediately instead of waiting until I
          blip the accelerator. When I adjusted the setting lever, I
          could not use a 3/16” dowel to line up the lever with the hole
          in the housing. I had to advance the lever clockwise a bit to
          get the OD to engage when the toggle switch was closed. This
          has always been the case and this issue is mentioned in some
          articles.<o:p></o:p></p>
        <p class="MsoNormal"><o:p> </o:p></p>
        <p class="MsoNormal">Do I need to fiddle with the setting lever
          adjustment some more? If so, do I rotate it clockwise or
          counter clockwise?<o:p></o:p></p>
        <p class="MsoNormal"><o:p> </o:p></p>
        <p class="MsoNormal">Any other thoughts?<o:p></o:p></p>
        <p class="MsoNormal"><o:p> </o:p></p>
        <p class="MsoNormal">TIA,<o:p></o:p></p>
        <p class="MsoNormal">John Spaur<o:p></o:p></p>
        <p class="MsoNormal">’62 BT7<o:p></o:p></p>
      </div>
      <br>
    </blockquote>
    <br>
  </body>
</html>

--------------j0dQDyik09HwsI0rUA1clwtY--

--===============1196263505417360942==
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

[email-masked]

--===============1196263505417360942==--