Subject: [Healeys] HD carbs tuning with modern gas

From: [email-masked]
Date: Sat, 01 Mar 2025 15:44:12 -0800

I have been using the rich needles for years on my BJ8 because the Air 
Fuel meter said I was going too lean up my hills at cruise. I could feel 
it too.
SWMBO is really bugging me about burbling on the overrun.
Today the best I could do for idle mixture was 3 1/4 turns from flush 
instead of 2 1/2. When lifting the little pin, it didn't die but it 
didn't have the momentary speed up either.
Is this it for California fuel or should I try something else?
Forty years ago, I could get the momentary speed up, no sweat.
If I increase timing from about 8 degrees, it will ping.
Ken Freese
65 BJ8
_______________________________________________

Archive: http://www.team.net/pipermail/healeys http://autox.team.net/archive/healeys

[email-masked]
http://autox.team.net/mailman/listinfo/healeys

---

From: Hank Leach via Healeys <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 02 Mar 2025 17:17:27 +0000 3tZycevFMIMgpNJp2+4fK5l2adGCaLbHWvVcWDDtfvulpxDrhQJz+NJglJCv7V3Xn+9au+weFtq7yE92ur5IhhVuJumyFqAEA10=

--===============7444576222031198754==
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

<div>Ken-it sure sounds like a fuel issue. You are dumping a lot in with =
rich needles and wide open jets but not getting results. I only use clear =
gas (no ethanol) and add octane boost and Stabil to 5 gal mix.</div>
<div>I read a lot about folks moving the timing to 17 degree <span =
style=3D"text-decoration: underline;">advance</span> for best running but =
that does not seem to work for you.</div>
<div>Lifting that mixture pin is =
not always a good barometer as it only takes 1/32" to get the reading and =
it is difficult to do that with the pin. SU rods in the dashpots using the =
thin bars are a better adjuster as you can "see" 1/32". Colortune also will=
 give you a reading.</div>
<div>Another suggestion to increase burn, is =
electronic ignition, which may give you a hotter spark. The days of 101 =
Octane fuel are just a faint memory for these cars. Dumping the clutch when=
 shutting off will stop overrun. Hank</div>
<div><br>-------------------- =
<br><br>From: &lt;[email-masked]&gt; <br>To: "AustinHealeylist" =
&lt;[email-masked]&gt; <br>Sent: March 1, 2025 at 4:25 PM PST =
<br>Subject: [Healeys] HD carbs tuning with modern gas <br>I have been =
using the rich needles for years on my BJ8 because the Air Fuel meter said =
I was going too lean up my hills at cruise. I could feel it too.<br>SWMBO =
is really bugging me about burbling on the overrun. Today the best I could =
do for idle mixture was 3 1/4 turns from flush instead of 2 1/2. When =
lifting the little pin, it didn't die but it didn't have the momentary =
speed up either. Is this it for California fuel or should I try something =
else? Forty years ago, I could get the momentary speed up, no sweat. If I =
increase timing from about 8 degrees, it will ping. Ken Freese 65 BJ8 =
_______________________________________________ Support Team.Net http://www=
.team.net/donate.html Suggested annual donation $12.75 Archive: http://www.=
team.net/pipermail/healeys http://autox.team.net/archive/healeys =
[email-masked] http://autox.team.net/mailman/listinfo/healeys =
harter.net</div>

--===============7444576222031198754==
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

[email-masked]

--===============7444576222031198754==--